Friday, June 19, 2009

What is my initial reaction to Twitter?

My initial reaction to Twitter is one of defense. I want to defend against using my focus and time in a way that feels shallow and superficial. I seek connections with people who have enough meat on the bone to offer me emotional and spiritual nourishment.


We greet people with simple phrases such as“ Hello, how are you?” These responses are a way to simply acknowledge one another. Too often the communication on Twitter will not go beneath this formal level to an honest discovery of the present moment. We do not expect people to bare their heart to others in superficial formal communication.


I am interested in heartfelt, honest communication where a person’s intentions to tell me something truthful and real about themselves touches and moves me to find an authentic response within my own being. There is plenty of noise and garbage in the universe. I try to be quiet except when I have something sincere to communicate.


Twitter is a derivative form of communication that narrows the field into such a small space that there is little room for depth. I am afraid twitter will steal my precious life force by using up my limited time and energy.

2 comments:

.mosa said...

we just managed a green revolution solely though twitter

Ruth Goodman said...

THIS IS TRUE. Twitter ALSO HELPED Communicate to the Iranian people when all other lines of communication were down.People were able to respond to the injustice they felt and put their bodies out on the streets because they knew where to go and in this way the internet is a great tool. BUT THINGS THAT ARE GREEN NEED OUR SUPREME ATTENTION AND OUR DIRECT LOVE. ONLY IF WE USE THE TOOLS LIKE TWITTER AS A POINTER TO TELL US WHERE IN THE REAL WORLD WE NEED TO BRING OUR HEARTS, MINDS, AND PHYSICAL PRESENCE WILL THIS GREAT TOOL KEEP US ON TRACK TOWARD OUR GREATER PURPOSE. THE CHALLENGE IS TO USE THE POINTER WITH GREAT DISCRETION TO GET OUT INTO LIFE TO LOVE LIFE...OTHER PEOPLE, NEIGHBORS, PLANTS ANIMALS, TO DANCE IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD. ruth