Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Leigh McCloskey: Spiritual Mentor in Venice, CA

I was recently asked to speak about spiritual mentors whom I respect in the Venice area and I thought I would share it:

I respect the work of Leigh McCloskey. He does not promote himself as a spiritual mentor but as an artist who is devoted to honoring the depth of the creative process. I like that he does not separate function from spirit. His whole life speaks of a dedication to creating within himself and in his community the space to allow a new possibility to grow. His spiritual vision includes the community around him.

I was acutely aware of my first encounter with Leigh. After meeting him at a friends art gallery opening I visited him in his home to see his studio and his artwork. Although he did not really know me, he received me fully and shared with me the pillars of his world, his art and his relationship with the internal source of his creative process. I received his vision and shared mine. We talked for three hours. I understand that we did this not because I am special but because of the passion Leigh has to share philosophy and an understanding of the Divine.

Leigh teaches in a deeply individualized and democratic way. Every person is equal to the process, including himself. He understands that to take any other position of power would immediately exclude him from a direct experience of what he knows to be his truth. It is so refreshing to be with a masculine being who has bowed to the deep freedom, and fertile generative creative power of the feminine aspect of GOD. HE seeks not to control her but to love her by honoring the flow of creative impulse with in his own being. This is a teaching I align with.

No comments: